ARCHIVE NOTICE

My website can still be found at industrialcuriosity.com, but I have not been posting on this blog as I've been primarily focused on therightstuff.medium.com - please head over there and take a look!

Saturday 28 March 2020

An improved (fairer) playlist shuffling algorithm

Lots of people find playlist shuffling insufficiently random for a variety of reasons, some of which have been addressed by the industry.

There's one aspect that my wife and I haven't seen, though, and that's making sure that no songs get "left behind" whenever a playlist is reshuffled, whether intentionally or by switching back-and-forth between playlists.

In an attempt to sow seeds, I've just put together an example of an improvement that can easily be applied to any of the existing shuffle algorithms.

No comments:

Post a Comment